Wedding Cake

Wedding Cake

Saturday 3 September 2011

Trying out a new recipe



I finally got to do a bit of baking yesterday, hubby has decided he wants to try vegetarian food (he gets all faddy with his food sometimes and he recently read an article in the newspaper regarding the slaughtering of animals for us to eat) so now he wants to change. Anyway you know me I am always up for a challenge and so found a website called Cook Vegetarian. They have loads of recipes so printed off a few that I thought sounded really tasty and showed them to him, he said they all sounded great, so away I went. I selected a couple of recipes one of them being an Orange, Ginger and sultana cake it is made with olive oil instead of margarine/butter,plain flour, dark brown sugar, eggs, ginger, fresh orange (all of it including the peel which is simmered whole until it is soft then blended into a pulp, so you don't actually get chunks of orange peel)it all gets mixed together and then baked for about 40 to 45 minutes or until when a skewer is inserted it comes out clean. I am really pleased with the result it is really tasty and I think I will add this to my Christmas cake collection, it certainly tasted and smelt like a Christmas cake. And yes Kevin said he liked it to so that's a good start. Now I am off to try some more recipes.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, that sounds very tasty Sue. It certainly looks good..!!
    I may well pop over to that website & take a look - got to be quite healthy too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake recipe sounds super tasty Sue and looks great. When I think about where it comes from it does put me off eating meat but then again I do like the taste of it so I've never taken the vegetarian plunge yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made a cake similar to the orange and it was very tasty; I think the sultana's would have been a good addition. luck with the vegetarian cooking, my boys (husband and 2 boys) have decided to be vegan. It has been an interesting 9 months.

    ReplyDelete