Wedding Cake

Wedding Cake

Monday 18 July 2011

Cake Decorating



Last week I started cake decorating lessons, I have found a local lady who has her own business which she runs from home and she gives lessons to small groups. There are five of us so it is a nice small group. We were given a list of things we needed to take. One of them being a cake dummy, these are just a brilliant idea as they can be used time and time again to practice on. Our first lesson was to decorate the dummy and board in fondant, she showed us her techniques and some simple short cuts. Then we made stencil to create a scalloped edge, mine wasn't very even but I got the general idea. I then very finely drew a line around the shaped template on to the fondant with a tooth pick, so that it can be used as a guide to follow when using the Crimpers. We also had a little play with some patchwork cutters and food colouring which although my example is a little untidy, it gave the the general idea and that you don't really have to do complicated to make things look really impressive,. Here is a photo of the result of my first lesson, I am sure this will improve as the weeks go by. This week we will be making flowers so can't wait to see how that turns out.

2 comments:

  1. Whats to improve.... This is a 'dummy' cake? Good job you said - it looks delish..!!!
    Jo. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. really interesting....I've always wanted to take a class or two..can't wait to see your
    flowers....

    ReplyDelete